Let’s face it - creating a cleaning schedule for your year may sound like a daunting task that you may not see the purpose in doing. But as long as you have the willpower to stick to the schedule, you’ll be surprised at how much it helps. A cleaning schedule is a reminder that you are accountable to clean, which makes it easier to follow so you never have to worry about dust & dirt in hidden places. It also provides you with an easier way to delegate tasks by family member and by frequency.
We recommend that you break down your tasks by frequency being daily, weekly, monthly, and seasonally. We doubt you want to clean daily, but you’re probably already doing these chores every day without much thought. Below is a basic guideline to how you might want to work out what to clean/tidy and when (if you share your home with friends, family or children it will help with delegation amongst ‘Team Members’) - we hope it makes your home life easier!
Daily chores should mainly be focused on keeping the house tidy and clutter free so you can relax each and every day. They are all fairly simple and do not require much time - we estimate an hour per day max.
- Make the bed
- Put dirty clothes in the hamper
- Declutter where necessary
- Wash the dishes
- Wipe kitchen counters
Majority of your cleaning should be done weekly to ensure a healthy home with minimal dust & dirt. You may want to schedule this in on the weekend when you have more energy and to get you ready for the week ahead, but this all depends on your schedule of course.
- Sweep, vacuum, and/or mop the floors
- Clean the bathroom essentials - toilet, shower, and sink
- Wash laundry
- Throw out the rubbish & prep for collection
These can be done more frequently if necessary, but hopefully that’s not the case for you.
- Wipe down all windows/glass
- Chuck expired foods in the pantry and fridge
- Clean the stovetop
- Dust lights, blinds, and ceiling corners
Spring cleaning is not the only season you need to clean - there’s something to do for all four seasons. As these chores are only done four times a year, make sure to do a good job!
- Vacuum/mop out of reach spaces (behind furniture, appliances, etc.)
- Clean oven, dishwasher, washing machine, and similar appliances
- Launder blankets, rugs, and pillows (special care may be required)