Hard water is basically water in its most natural state with a high concentration of minerals like calcium & magnesium that tend to leave stains on your bathroom surfaces - most commonly on glass shower doors, shower floors, and on fixings.
Hard water stains are extremely difficult to remove due to the constant moisture in the bathroom unless you are cleaning every day (but who has time for that?). If you’ve tried to tackle them before, you know that even the strongest chemicals require deep scrubbing and may still not do the job as well as you’d like. As always, we try to promote natural solutions that you can find in your cupboard any day that actually work magic and we found those two secret ingredients to be vinegar and toothpaste. Both ingredients have excellent cleaning properties and are cost effective. Below are two DIY options to pick up your hard water scum easily and without toxins…
Method #1 - Vinegar
- Create a 50:50 ratio mixture of white vinegar and water in a spray bottle.
- Spray the stains with the solution and let sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Scrub saturated stains with a toothbrush.
- Wipe the surfaces clean with a wet cloth.
Method #2 - Toothpaste
- Apply toothpaste generously & equally to the stains.
- Rub the toothpaste into the surface using a soft, damp cloth.
- Rinse with a wet cloth to remove the toothpaste residue.